Building Construction Specialist
The person in this position reports to the Design and Construction Manager. This individual will be responsible for developing safe and efficient construction practices and establish standards. Work with construction crews and subcontractors to ensure activities completed meet established standards. Responsible for training and monitoring performance in meeting goals and objectives.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for developing safe and efficient construction practices and techniques so that standards can be established, maintained and documented.
- Oversee and monitor the activities of construction crews and subcontractors to ensure new construction, repair and building maintenance activities are completed in accordance with established standards.
- Train construction crews and subcontractors on established standards.
- Perform standard estimating tasks such as performing quality take-offs, creating material price lists, researching labor, material and equipment costs for these take-offs.
- Responsible for project construction execution and formulating a competent construction execution plan that includes changes to the plan as required, meeting schedules and cost goals of the project.
- Familiar with construction documents, scope of work, change orders, exceptions, site procedures and policies and working with multiple trades.
- Provide value added input on constructability of projects during bid stage.
- Be the key point of contact for construction crews and subcontractors in all areas.
- Manage weekly project status and safety meetings. Report information and concerns back to the Design and Construction Manager for review and resolution.
- Be willing to work overtime, extended and flexible hours as needed with contractor schedules.
- Provide onsite technical support for customers when they request a site supervisor.
- Travel will be required about 75% of the time visiting multiple sites all across the United States.
- Ensure that resources (i.e. vehicles, equipment, tools) are maintained in proper working order.
- Review, resolve and follow up on customer requests and complaints supporting the customer service department.
- Monitor performance of construction crews to established goals and objectives
- This position is going to require exceptional attendance including being to work on a consistent basis and punctuality. Must be able to work night and weekends as necessary. The schedule will vary and overtime is necessary.
- Be a “ champion” for the strategic plan program to the crews.
- Abide by all OSHA and safety regulations and ensure the construction crews are performing work safely.
- Abide by all company rules, policies and regulations. Point out to management any violations.
- Any and all other responsibilities as given by Design and Building Construction Manager.
Education and/or Experience:
Bachelor’s Degree in Building or Construction Management or related field preferred; or a combination of education, training and experience. At least 4 years of experience preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Strong math skills
- Excellent communication skills both verbally and in writing.
- Strong interpersonal and customer service skills
- Knowledge of construction and building codes
- Knowledge of construction practices and safety/OSHA procedures
- OSHA 10 or 30 certification a plus
- Ability to solve problems
- Ability to handle multiple projects at one time
- Must be able to travel frequently and hold a valid driver’s license
- Must be at least 21 years of age for DOT regulations and traveling across state lines
- Strong MS Office skills
- Ability to read blueprints and design drawings
- Experience or certification in operating auxiliary equipment (forklifts, boom lifts, scissor lifts, man lifts etc.)
- Must be able to operate a wide variety of power and hand tools
- Must be able to lift up to 50 lbs
- Strong analytical and decision making skills
- Must be able to work with minimal supervision
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, requires various continuous standing, sitting, walking, light lifting, carrying, pushing/pulling, kneeling, crawling, climbing and squatting. Lifting up to 50 lbs.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work can be done from an office environment but most of the work is done outside of the office out in the field on a construction site. Frequent travel is required- 75%. Will be working at heights up to 60 feet in the air on high structures. Will be exposed to the elements of all types of weather and inclement weather.
How To Apply:
Note: These are PDF forms. We recommend that you save them to your computer's hard drive, fill out the forms, save and email to HRdeptIOWA@farmtek.com.
Application For Employment Form
Disclosure Agreement Form
Background Check/Drug Testing Form
To apply, please download and fill out the corresponding forms.
Submit forms and a resume by mail, e-mail or fax to:
Attn: Human Resources FarmTek / Engineering Services & Products Co.
1440 Field of Dreams Way, Dyersville, IA 52040
E-Mail - HRdeptIOWA@farmtek.com
Fax - 563-875-2317
Engineering Services & Products Company is an equal opportunity employer.
Back to Careers Page