R&D Product Manager
The individual in this position will report directly to the VP of Operations and will be responsible for designing and developing a broad array of products and manufacturing processes. This individual will be an experienced leader of various projects, experienced in setting goals for team members and maximizing team performance to achieve corporate goals and objectives. This individual will manager and direct the R&D department and provide strategic focus for product/process platforms and execute strategic plans consistent with the corporate vision.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide strategic focus and people leadership for all R&D services required to deliver on R&D priorities.
- Develop and execute the strategic and tactical plans for areas of responsibility including new product development, startups, costs savings, product renovation and sales support.
- Ensure adequate resources are available for department initiatives.
- Monitor the accomplishments of projects and adherence to timelines, budgets and other performance standards. Implement corrective action when necessary.
- Oversee and prioritize all research and development projects, programs and activities.
- Identify design practices that improve quality and manufacturability of products. Contribute to continuous improvement of process and product quality.
- Research topics including material properties, modern manufacturing processes and machines to minimize cost and labor. Key areas include metal cutting, forming and welding.
- Calculate, assign and measure manufacturing part tolerances.
- Support manufacturing groups through the development of tooling and manufacturing processes to ensure successful new product launch.
- Utilize CAD software to design components and assemblies.
- Develop theoretical models and physical prototypes to complete testing and validation.
- Supervise R&D team members.
- Conduct technical meeting and other safety meetings for team members
- Recommend policy or standard operating procedures and/or changes that pertain to the R&D department.
- Maintains current awareness of applicable new technology and industry trends and their impact on technical and business needs.
- Act as a leader in the technical community in relation to the R&D discipline. Enhance the discipline through sharing of knowledge, identifying opportunities for greater application of findings.
- Engage regularly with internal and external customers to understand contending priorities and develop a plan to meet those priorities. Evaluate and ensure customer satisfaction.
- Lead, guide, coach and mentor team members. Conduct performance reviews and help develop career plans and professional development for the R&D team members.
- Monitor trends, opportunities and potential problems and bring concerns to the VP of Operations.
- Be a strong supporter of the strategic plan initiatives to the team members.
- Create reports as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Experience working with MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook, etc)
- 3D solid modeling software experience (SolidWorks preferred) with proficiency in 3D modeling and 2D drawing
- Experience in Design for Manufacturing and Design for Assembly principles
- Strong technical and analytical aptitude, willing and able to research and learn complex topics with minimal guidance
- Demonstrate ability to work in a fast paced environment
- Must have strong communication skills with an ability to effectively manage conflict
- Experience with project scheduling and management of multiple projects
- Experience developing a range of new product innovations.
- Proven team leadership skills including team building, strategic planning skills and delivering results.
- Proven success working well with cross functional peers in all departments.
- Skilled at speaking with confidence, poise and respectively with peers, subordinates and executives
- Significant experience with Microsoft Word and Excel ( including data processing in Excel through formulas, functions and tables)
Education and/or Experience
- BS degree in engineering, technology, manufacturing or a related field is preferred or equivalent combination of education, experience and training.
- At least 3-5 years of experience managing team members in the field.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as blueprints, operating instructions, and procedure manuals.
Ability to use Microsoft Office applications including Word, Excel, Outlook, and Power Point.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to use sound judgement with good mechanical aptitude and deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee is frequently required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to sit. The employee must occasionally lift and /or move up to 20-50 pounds.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job the employee will primarily be in an office environment but may be exposed to work in manufacturing or warehouse areas. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate but could be louder in the production/warehouse areas.
How To Apply:
Note: These are PDF forms. We recommend that you save them to your computer's hard drive, fill out the forms, save and email to HRdeptIOWA@farmtek.com.
Application For Employment Form
Disclosure Agreement Form
Background Check/Drug Testing Form
To apply, please download and fill out the corresponding forms.
Submit forms and a resume by mail, e-mail or fax to:
Attn: Human Resources FarmTek / Engineering Services & Products Co.
1440 Field of Dreams Way, Dyersville, IA 52040
E-Mail - HRdeptIOWA@farmtek.com
Fax - 563-875-2317
Engineering Services & Products Company is an equal opportunity employer.
Back to Careers Page