Greenhouse Aquaponics and Hydroponics Internship
Reports To: Greenhouse Manager
Successful candidate will work with the manager and support staff to perform research and development activities on the hydroponic and aquaponic systems. The individuals will be assisting the manager in preparing and growing media, planting and cultivating assorted plants and participating in various horticultural activities. The individuals will assist the manager in various aquaponic activities as well.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following.
- Assist in performing research and development activities in the aquaponics and hydroponic programs
- Help manage hydroponic and high tunnel crop production
- Assist in greenhouse and landscape maintenance
- Assist the manager in plant production, measuring, recording, and analyzing data
- Assist in monitoring the fish, plant and crawdad health
- Shoveling, raking, sweeping, planting small plants/seeds, watering, fertilizing, cleaning and disinfecting
- Assist the aquaponics system in reaching its capacity for production
- Assist in the maintenance of both systems
- Will be responsible for following a seeding schedule for hydroponic propagation.
- Haul and spread topsoil, fertilizer, peat moss, sand and other soil amendments to condition the land
- Dig, rake, and screen soil to fill cold frames and planting beds in preparation for plants
- Maintain various hydroponic mineral solutions and general water quality for optimizing plant growth
- Weeding, mulching and general upkeep of landscape plants, shrubs, and trees
- Seeding, sodding, aerating, weed whipping and fertilizing turf
- Planting shrubs and plants throughout the landscape and in containers
- Folding and stapling corrugated forms to make boxes used for packing horticultural products
- Assist the manager and in making any suggestions for any design changes to our public education program
- Other duties as assigned or required
To successfully perform this job, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Undergraduate student enrolled in Environmental Science or related degree program
- Understanding of sustainable farming methods
- Strong interest and desire to learn
- Exceptional communication and people skills
- Ability to work independently and in a team
- Some knowledge and passion for hydroponic and aquaponic plant production (vine and leaf crop)
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, including some weekends
- Must possess excellent communication skills, be self motivated and be a team player
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel
- Reach with hands or arms
- Climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl
- Frequently required to talk or hear
- Employee is occasionally required to sit
- Must regularly lift and/or move up to 100 pounds
The work environment described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions
- Moving mechanical parts
- Outside weather conditions
- Noise level in the work environment is usually moderate
How To Apply:
Note: These are PDF forms. We recommend that you save them to your computer's hard drive, fill out the forms, save and email to HRdeptIOWA@farmtek.com.
Application For Employment Form
Disclosure Agreement Form
Background Check/Drug Testing Form
ESAPCO Bonus for Iowa positions
To apply, please download and fill out the corresponding forms.
Submit forms and a resume by mail, e-mail or fax to:
Attn: Human Resources FarmTek / Engineering Services & Products Co.
1440 Field of Dreams Way, Dyersville, IA 52040
E-Mail - HRdeptIOWA@farmtek.com
Fax - 563-875-2317
Engineering Services & Products Company is an equal opportunity employer.
Back to Careers Page